With the promotion of the art of film, film subtitle translation will inevitably become an increasingly important part of the battlefield of translation.
With the emergence of globalization and the increasingly extensive and in-depth cross-cultural communication, film as a carrier of culture, plays an increasingly important role, and film subtitle translation has also become an important part of translation.
Film language mostly appears in the form of monologues or dialogues. As a comprehensive art, the film has now become a very common form of mass entertainment. Although the subtitles appear in line with the picture, their language is still outlined by specific artistic analysis, and is not a purely spoken language in the market. And a lot of movies are adapted from literary works. The dialogue in it is also carefully selected under cleverly conceived. Therefore, the literary nature of subtitles cannot be ignored. Today, when the influence of movies is so great, some methods and approaches of analyzing literary translation should also be used to explore the translation of movie subtitles. Subtitles have literary characteristics and are different from literature in the true sense. It is not only necessary to discuss the general rules of subtitle translation, but also to find its particularity and compare the differences. Build a complete theoretical system for subtitle translation.
Last month, we completed a Spanish-to-English subtitle project.
This is a documentary about the humanities and customs of Spain, describing Spain, a country that is passionate and unrestrained, passionate and brave, ancient and avant-garde. There are 15 episodes in total, and each episode is 42 minutes long, and each episode is about different cultures. The customer only gave us the video, and what we need to deliver is the .srt file in English, which means that we need to direct translation into English according to the Spanish spoken in the video, and timecoding, and deliver it within 10 days.
Project processing flow
1. Requirements Analysis: We discuss the requirement specifications of the project with the client to make the process smooth. This includes localization standards, type of services required, and scope of the project.
2. Transcription: Based on the customer requirements, we choose best-fit linguists that can deliver the required quality.
3. Language QA/Proofreading: Top-rated industry expert proofreaders go through the translation to make sure that it qualifies with given standards of quality.
4. Simulation: Subtitles are run along the video to check everything looks good on screen as requested.
5. Delivery: Based on the customer requirements, deliver the English .srt files.
In this project, the biggest problem we encountered was that some parts of the video spoke in the dialect of a Spanish city, which caused some parts of our translators to be unable to understand. When we encountered this situation, we will look for an interpreter living in this city to help me understand and seek help from clients. In the end, we completed the project perfectly.
If you have any projects in the multimedia field, please contact Ella.Zhu@wetranstech.com, we are always on standby.