Subtitling Case Study
We are committed to becoming the world’s leading audio-visual content solution expert. We have 20,000 certified language experts around the world, providing our clients with media localization services in more than 100 languages 24/7, all year round. Our subtitling team is made up of a team of subtitle language experts, subtitle software engineers, senior project managers, senior quality control managers, and global resource certification managers to provide clients with an unimaginable audio-visual and content experience in the global market.
Case Study 1
A Well-known Multi-national Media Group of Films and TV Dramas in the United States
Introduction to a Conventional Project
Tools needed: Subtitle Edit, Aegisub, Arctime, EZtitle
Project Type I
1. File format conversion: The formats of the files received were mostly srt or dfxp. And all the formats needed to be converted to the srt format, which enabled all the files to be used in common tools. After processing, the original formats were restored, and this process was handled by our professional engineers.
2. Project translation and QA: Translators and QA personnel who excelled at this kind of files would be chosen for word processing to make sure that all the character names were consistent in the files.
3. Timeline synchronization in video: We would follow up with the timelines and the subtitles displayed for general processing, and would then handle the on-screen text and other narration.
4. The rules of subtitles and the processing of symbols: When dealing with subtitles according to the needs of the client, we needed to be careful and check whether the text was processed according to the corresponding rules, and check whether wrong punctuation for the languages appeared in the corresponding places.
1. The client needed us to deliver quality work under tight timelines in compliance with the required subtitle rules.
2. The terms should be consistent.
1. This project was handled by multiple translators at the same time, who were experienced and could deliver quality work. And the QA process was carried out concurrently.
2. The cultural background related to the video was provided to the translators for reference, so that the translation could be more in line with the needs of the video.
3. A unified platform was established for group discussion and communication, so that the translators could discuss the correct translation of character names on the platform at the same time. In case of disagreement in name translation, questions could be raised to determine the final translation based on the actual situation to be consistent throughout the project.
4. Relevant tools were used to identify text errors, typos, or mistakes in file format, length, speed, punctuation, etc.
Project Case Study 2 (Emergency Project)
Challenge: Clients needed us to deliver the localized subtitles for 65 episodes of cartoons before the holidays, and sent us the documents in the afternoon just 5 days before the holidays, and attached more than a dozen pages of subtitle rules and requirements.
Confidentiality: All productions, including content, were not allowed to be disclosed until they were released.
Heavy workload: The video was 1430 mins, and we were running on tight timelines, as we must complete it in 4 days.
Extensive reach: This video was for the entire local population, and needed to conform to the habits of all the population, in terms of reading speed, character limitation, continuity, characters, etc.
Guaranteed consistency: Due to tight timelines, we must arrange for multiple subtitle translators, while ensuring consistency in character names and other nouns.
To address these challenges, we arranged for 15 translators, 10 QA personnel and 5 PMs, and arranged machine assistive inspections and manual inspections.
By doing so, we ensured that quality and speed of output were on track, finished the triple inspection process and completed the project under tight timelines.
This team was made up in-house personnel, and all of them signed the nondisclosure agreement in accordance with confidentiality requirements.
The translators were regular translators for this kind of projects, and they were highly experienced in translation and professional fields.
We delivered quality work on time, and established a long-term partnership with the client on localization projects.
Let’s talk about your new project!！
A MarsHub/Mars Translation Company