Subtitling Case Study
Localization services not only lead to honed results from the perspective of language, but also allow the results to better reflect the overall characteristics of another country in terms of culture, society and technology. WetransTech can provide creative and customized language solutions for the global strategy of clients, and can help enterprises develop and win in the global market.
A Well-known Multimedia Company in China
To provide the client with film and television drama listening and translation services
This client is a professional media content provider dedicated to providing high-quality overseas films and TV programs to domestic cinemas, TV stations, digital TVs, new media and mobile Internet platforms. In China, the client has basically distributed programs across terminal devices, including digital TVs, OTT, IPTV, computers, tablets, and mobile phones. At present, the client has established a stable cooperative relationship with nearly 100 mainstream film and television producers and distributors from Europe, North America and Asia. There are also professional full-time translation teams in the company to translate the purchased films and television dramas for distribution, but due to the heavy workload of the translation projects, the client will also seek help from other language suppliers according to the projects.
The client's previous supplier had quality issues and failed to meet the expectations of the client, while we stood out by finishing the test nicely, and successfully closed a deal with the client on a film and television drama subtitle translation project, and signed a non-disclosure agreement with the client.
Project Type: Subtitle listening and translation for a TV series
Project Workload: 16 episodes, 90 minutes each
Project Duration: 2 months
Language Pair: Thai to Mandarin Chinese
Original Format: Video
Delivery Format: SRT file
1. The client asked that one episode should be translated and delivered for every 2 days. However, the translators who had passed the test were not available, so other translators filled in due to tight timelines, which made the quality of first two episodes go down.
2. The project was on a tight budget, which was a challenge to our project team in terms of cost and quality control.
3. It was a subtitle listening and translation project, far more difficult than conventional subtitle translation. Listening and translating was a more demanding job for translators in terms of the professional level of translation and video processing;
4. There were many details to handle in the project. For example, the scene subtitles in the listening and translating process could easily be forgotten. In addition, we needed to be careful about the copyright of the theme song in the beginning and at the end. Also, the list of the cast, scriptwriters and directors was required to be checked one by one. Meanwhile, the subtitles should be handled in terms of timeline production according to the plot developments or lines of the performers. If we were not careful enough, the quality of the project to deliver would be affected.
1. We took the initiative in constantly communicating with the client if any problems or difficult situations showed up. We then analyzed the causes and proposed solutions, and always managed the entire quality of the project from the client’s point of view.
2. Through effective communication, it came to the decision that the project should be delivered within 2 months, allowing us to decide the time used to make every episode flexibly for the project based on the level of difficulty without sacrificing quality just to keep up with the schedule.
3. We selected translators who could offer quality and consistent work, and followed the test standards. All participating translators were required to have an in-depth understanding of the project, and were consistent in style, while being able to reduce project turnover, ensure quality and improve efficiency at the same time.
4. High-performing PMs were chosen in the company, who were required to be familiar with the project management process of media localization, have rich experience in processing film and television drama projects, and independently handle subtitles, produce timelines and review details, etc. By doing so, we not only effectively controlled the cost, but also ensured the quality of the project to deliver.
1. We were able to identify and solve problems in time, and deliver quality work within the client’s deadline.
2. We were able to improve the project management process and help cultivate a long-term and stable team of professional PMs and translators for the client. And we reduced project turnover, and guaranteed project quality, helping the client save money.
3. The client was very satisfied with our quality and service, and asked for services for more language pairs and bigger projects.
Client Case Study
More caption case studies
Let’s talk about your new project!！
A MarsHub/Mars Translation Company